Know the difference between olive oil and our Extra Virgin Olive Oil and enjoy it!
Olive oil categories
Qualitative Classification of Olive Oil
In accordance to the existing legislation, evaluation of the quality of virgin olive oil and its classification in qualitative categories is based on the following criteria:
- Free acidity
- Peroxide value
- Αbsorption in the UV
- Organoleptic evaluation
According to European Commission regulations descriptions and definitions of olive oil categories are:
Descriptions- Definitions of Olive Oil
- Virgin olive oil It has acidity up to 2%. Virgin olive oil comes directly from olives and it is extracted with mechanical means. It is considered to have a good taste.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.Its acidity does nοt exceed 0.8%. It is superior category olive oil, produced directly from olives and solely by mechanical methods. It has excellent aroma and taste.
- Olive oil composed of refined and virgin olive oils Its acidity does not exceed 1%. It is a blend of refined and virgin production oil and usually it lacks strong flavour.
- Olive-Pomace Oil It has a free acidity up to 1%. Olive pomace oil is refined pomace olive oil often blended with some virgin oil. It is fit for consumption, but it is best to be used for cooking.
- Refined olive oil Despite having a low acidity of 0,3% at a maximum, its organoleptic qualities are not equivalent to virgin or extra virgin olive oil. It is obtained by refining virgin olive oils with a high acidity level and/or organoleptic defects that are eliminated after refining. It is suitable for consumption but it is recommended to use only for cooking.
- Lampante Olive Oil Virgin olive oil suitable for consumption but with bad taste and smell. Its acidity is more than 2%. It is intended only to be refined or for industrial purposes.
As noted by the European Commisssion,
Not all categories can be sold to consumers; only extra-virgin olive oil, virgin olive oil, olive oil composed of refined olive oil and virgin olive oils and olive pomace oil can be purchased directly at retail level.
Values for quality characteristics that oil should have in order to be classified as Extra Virgin Olive Oil are presented in the following table. In the last column you can see the corresponding values of our product’s characteristics.
|Index||Extra Virgin Olive Oil||Ultra Premium (UP)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
|Olive Oil T elia|
|Acidity (%) ΜΑΧ||0,8||0,3||0,24|
|Peroxide (meq O2/Kg) ΜΑΧ||20,0||9,0||5,4|
|Biophenols as tyrosol ΜΙΝIMUM||–||130||272|
Note: the above values for T elia Olive Oil product were taken from the technical analysis dated 26/02/2021.
Our product has participated in international Extra Virgin Olive Oil competitions and has won awards and distinctions.
Quality Olive Oil Awards
One Star Award
Design & Packaging Awards
6th International Olive Oil Competition
ATHIOOC is one of the fastest-growing international olive oil competitions in the world and the only one held in Greece. In the past five years it has gained the respect of world-class judges and producers from both hemispheres who trust it with their samples.
In 2021 its 6th edition will take place in Lesvos, one of the largest Aegean islands, with an extensive network of olive groves and an important production of high-quality EVOO that embodies the uniqueness of the island’s native cultivars and the value of its agricultural wealth.
International Olive Oil Competitions
The purpose of the competitions is:
a) To inform olive-growers, oil producers, oil-pressers, processors and retailers, who distribute their standardized products legally, to preserve and to ameliorate the quality of their branded product by promoting high-quality olive oil in every aspect of the spectrum of its use and consumption.
b) The promotion of the knowledge of the particular value and of the healthy/nutritional aspects of olive oil to new consumers of young age (schools), to professional pastry chefs, artisans, with emphasis to gastronomy & culinary art schools and to restaurants.
c) The promotion of the diversity of varieties and of the high quality of olive oils produced with the aim of advancing the knowledge of their tasting differences.
(from the Competition’s website)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 100ml5,00€ Add to basket
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3lt22,00€ Add to basket
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 4 cans x 3 lt79,00€ Add to basket
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500ml14,00€ Add to basket
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500ml – gift packaging16,00€ Add to basket
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 6 bottles x 750ml46,00€ Add to basket
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 750ml8,50€ Add to basket